Thursday, December 17, 2009

PQ's Top 10 Songs of the 2000's: No. 4

I've already posted a live version of this song a few weeks ago, but here is the original recording with what I presume is another fan video.

I might actually get some purchase from Patchouli and Puss on this one. There's not much in this stunning song to dislike. It's eerie, sad, romantic, powerful and adept all at once. The first time I heard it I was blown away by its sentiment and gradual musical build. It starts great and then just gets better and better.

It's by Beth Gibbons (from Portishead, who I was never fussed about) and someone called Rustin Man. The song is called 'Funny Time Of Year' and I hope you enjoy it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I likes me some Portishead, I does.

And I like this song very, very much as well. It's just the thing to listen to on a cold, rainy summer's day like today.

Puss In Boots said...

I have some Gibbons in my collection, but it takes a special day to listen to it. I'm not really into female singers, for some reason. Most of the time I find myself skipping over their songs in my mp3 player. But yes, I do like this one. When I'm in the right mood.

Yay! Now I know and like 2 songs in your top 10! Maybe I can get to 3!

RandomGit said...

I've always counted Beth Gibbons as one of the most evocative voices I've heard. This proves to be no exception.

I also dig on Portishead.

And porpoise heads, but that's a whole other story.

patchouligirl said...

You've done it - a song I actually like. Today is turning out pretty good so far. Thanks.

Melba said...

Sorry only made it half way with this one. I even listened to all of the Melt Banana and couldn't with this. My mind wandered, I kept looking at the time, thinking fuck, it's too long, it's not doing anything. I picked up the instruction booklet for our new coffee machine, started to browse.

Yes it's pretty, she has a nice voice but the video was shitting me and it seemed like background music to me.

I wanted to be back at Flannagan's Ball.