Friday, January 29, 2010

RIP Jerome David Salinger


JD Salinger is dead. He is responsible for me calling people phoneys at any given opportunity. He also inspired a character in a sit-com which I wrote with Perseus ten years ago, who we called 'Salinger'. He also gave airtime to disenfranchised adolescents (along with the Violent Femmes and Morrissey as recently mentioned, but from a whole other era if you don't mind).

And Catcher in the Rye was pretty good too.

He made my life slightly better for having read the book. Good on him for that.

10 comments:

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

I have never read Catcher in the Rye.

I quite like Violent Femmes and Morrissey, though.

Mr E said...

Three weeks before the public launch of "Catcher in the Rye with Zombies" and Salinger is found Dead. How very convenient. I smell a rat.

Perseus said...

It is an awesome book. Pity about John Lennon but.

Vale.

Ramon Insertnamehere said...

Pity about John Lennon

I've often thought that.

Lewd Bob said...

I'm more of a Pity About Paul McCartney kind of guy.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how this will affect the 'Catcher In The Rye' unauthorised sequel...um...satirical work that was discussed here once before? I guess a fresh film adaptation won't be too far off the horizon either.

By the way Bob, who did the accompanying pic? It probably doesn't say much for me that that style of thing is what I tend to think of as 'great art'.

Puss In Boots said...

Ramon, don't bother reading it. It was utter shite. I don't know why people rave about it. I got to the end and thought, "That's it? What the fuck was that?"

Seriously, one of the worst books I've ever read. If the Man Booker Prize had been around then, it definitely would have won.

squib said...

I haven't read it either. The last thing I need is another angsty teen

Lewd Bob said...

Great book.

Alex, I found the pic here.

Unknown said...

Just read the fucker, Ramon. Honestly. If American high school kids can manage, so can you. It's a piss-easy read & I'm willing to bet you'll either like it ... or not.

You heard me.